Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Diane Willow - Guest Speaker

I think It was really awesome the fact that we had a guest speaker in this class. Oftentimes in other classes you never get to meet other people from different places who specialize in the field you're learning about. Her work was different than any of the work we've seen so far in the class but it cool hearing what she had to say. I really like her use of "flow" and the inspirations she said she has had. It was interesting seeing the differences between her pieces, my personal favorite was the exhibit with the microplankton that glow. I've seen them before but never in a exhibit someone has. When I think of them (the plankton) I think of them in their natural habitat so it was fun seeing her take them from them environment and incorparating them in a way that many people can see them. The technical stuff she did with the silicone that lights up so that you can see them was also interesting. You can tell she has a lot of unique ideas that are inspiring to others. For me it inspired me to not look an object just as an object but the components of what makes it up and how they all rely on each other to work. I'm really glad she came in and spoke with us because it allowed us all to see a different perspective of the arts.

No comments: